All you need to know about checked baggage allowances for Air India flights
If you travel a lot by air for work or leisure, then you will know the importance of baggage check-in for every airline. Almost all airlines have certain guidelines and policies that need to be followed for an easy bag checking process. Air India airline is no such exception in this regard. For Air India, there are also some basic guidelines as well for checked baggage policy that must be adhered to for smooth air travel.
I was not quite aware of the baggage policies and therefore, packed more than the limit required and hence, had to send some items back on my first travel to Air India. It was an awful experience as I had to open my entire luggage to do so. However, the airline briefed me on the baggage policies and since then, I never had an issue with the luggage on my next few travels. So, if you are planning to make your flight ticket booking to your preferred destination from Air India, then I would suggest you go by the guide to not face any problem at the airport. Having said that, the following are the guidelines of the checked baggage allowance of Air India that needs to be considered.
Domestic Checked Baggage Allowance Policy of Air India
Some important factors need to be considered while packing your baggage for travelling on the Air India domestic flight. The important ones are given below:
- The applicability of the checked baggage allowance is exclusively for the Air India Flight and is not for Alliance Air, Air India Express or any other codeshare flight.
- For passengers boarding Air India Domestic Airlines and connecting to Air India International or vice versa on the same ticket, are entitled to free baggage allowance of the International sector.
- Those who are gold members of Star Alliance will continue to get the extra facility of carrying additional 20 kgs luggage in Economy Class.
- Passengers having infants with them will get the privilege of 1 infant car seat/collapsible stroller/carry cot for their kids.
- For a single piece of luggage, the maximum weight that is allowed to carry is 32 kilograms. Also, do note that this rule is the same for the entire Air India network.
- There is a special privilege for all those who are handicapped as they will get the privilege of carrying additional luggage of up to 15 kilograms for free as per the DGCA guidelines.
International Checked Baggage Allowance Policy of Air India
Things to keep in mind while packing your baggage for travelling in the Air India international flights are given below:
- Infants are entitled to the benefit of 1 piece baggage allowance.
- For a single piece of luggage, the maximum weight that is allowed to carry is 32 kilograms and is applicable for the entire Air India network.
- Flights that are operated by Air India only offer the baggage allowance facility and the same is not applicable for codeshare flights.
- After April 1, 2019, the free baggage allowance for the economy class is 23 kg for travel between India and EWR.
Standard Weight and Piece Concept of Air India
Baggage Proportions for First and Business Class
For First and Business class, the baggage dimension is calculated by summing the length, breadth and height of each piece which must not exceed 158 cms or 62 inches. Moreover, the permissible weight for every piece of luggage should be less than 70lbs or 32kg.
Baggage Proportions for Economy Class
For Economy class passengers, the baggage dimension is calculated for two pieces of luggage whose combined dimension of length, breadth and height should not be more than 107 inches. Additionally, the linear dimension of each of the two pieces should not exceed 62 inches. In this segment, the maximum weight of the luggage is limited to 23 kgs or 50 pounds.
In Air India, the application of the Piece Concept is only applicable for Airlines flying to and from America. Even so, the limit for the baggage proportion is the same in Air India as in the Standard Weight Concept.
Special Baggage Allowance Privileges for Air India Flying Return Members
Here are some of the important aspect that needs to be considered while availing the special baggage allowance privileges for Air India Flying Return Members:
- Primary Active or Active Flying Return Members are entitled to get the additional baggage allowance depending on the tier of Air India flight one is travelling.
- Members of the Air India Maharaja Club and Gold Club will get the benefit of carrying additional 20 kgs as per weight concept and 1 piece as per cabin class in piece concept.
- Flying Return Members of the Silver Edge Club of Air India are entitled to carry additional 10 kgs as per weight concept and 1 piece as per cabin class in piece concept.
However, do note that Flying Return Members who do not belong to any of the three above classes can not avail of the benefit of carrying additional luggage for free. Moreover, it is also not available for Air India flights that are operated with CRJ / ATR aircraft.
Consider the above-mentioned guide for the checked baggage allowance of Air India and have a comfortable and hassle-free journey to your destination.